Chicken Menudo: Try this Filipino Chicken Menu for dinner today! Loaded with chicken, hot dogs, potatoes, carrots and peppers in a seasoned tomato sauce, this hearty stew is sure to be a family favorite.
I enjoy cooking for crowds, but I also prefer to keep things simple. I believe with a little creativity; we can easily turn our everyday meals into favorites for special occasions.
Don’t you love how the simple addition of pineapple chunks quickly turns a classic adobo into something
classy for company?
One of my staples is chicken menudo. Not only is it perfect for an everyday family dinner, but it’s also economical for a big gathering. Three pounds of boneless chicken thighs topped with hot dogs, potatoes, carrots, peppers, and raisins, you’ll have enough to feed an army.
This recipe made a big “kawa”, we had plenty of leftovers in the fridge to enjoy for days!
While pork menudo traditionally includes chunks of liver, in my chicken version I substitute sliced hot dogs for a family-friendly dish that even the kids will love.
What else makes this hearty Filipino stew a crowd pleaser? I like to braise chicken in pineapple juice for a slightly sweet flavor and use canned diced tomatoes for a thick, hearty sauce. I take inspiration from beef mechado and also add a tablespoon or two of soy sauce to round out the flavors nicely.
- For easier preparation, I use a boneless chicken thigh or leg without the skin. Chicken breasts work too, but they tend to cook and dry out faster, so adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Cut the meat and other ingredients to a uniform size to ensure even cooking.
- For added color and nutrition, add one cup of green peas or garbanzo beans during the last 10 minutes of cooking.
Want more sweet and savory flavors? Add one cup of pineapple chunks!
How to serve
- With steamed rice, of course! We also like to enjoy it at home with warm pandesal; that rich, thick tomato sauce is perfect for dipping!
- Do you have a lot of leftovers? Like giniling na baboy, this hearty chicken stew is delicious as a filling for a cake or omelette.
- To store for future meals, let cool completely and transfer to resealable bags or airtight containers. It should last up to 3 days in the fridge or up to 2 months in the freezer.
Chicken menudo Preparation
Try this chicken menu for dinner today! Loaded with chicken, hot dogs, potatoes, carrots, and peppers in a flavorful tomato sauce, this hearty stew is sure to be a family favorite!
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 5 minutes
By Lalaine Manalo
Course: Main appetizer
- 2 spoons of rapeseed oil
- 1/2 red pepper, de-seeded and diced
- 1/2 green pepper, de-seeded and diced
- 4 thinly sliced hot dogs
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 spoons of soy sauce
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato puree
- 1 cup of water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons of raisins
1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wide skillet over medium heat. Add the peppers and cook for about 30 seconds or until soft but crisp. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and let drain on a paper towel.
2. Add hot dogs and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and let drain on a paper towel.
3. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan. Add onion and garlic and cook until softened.
4. Add chicken and cook until lightly browned.
5. Add soy sauce and cook for about 1 minute.
6. Add the pineapple juice and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes.
7. Add chopped tomatoes, tomato paste and water. Stir to combine and bring to a boil.
8. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until the chicken is tender and the sauce is reduced.
9. Add potatoes, carrots and raisins and cook for about 6 to 8 minutes or until tender.
10. Add peppers and hot dogs and cook until heated through. Season with salt and pepper if needed. Serve hot.
Calories: 288 kcal, Carbohydrates: 22 g, Protein: 25 g, Fat: 11 g, Saturated fatty acids: 2 g, Cholesterol: 107 mg, Sodium: 585 mg, Potassium: 830 mg, Fiber: 3 g, Sugar: 320 g, Vitamin A: 320 g, Vitamin A: Calcium: 62 mg, Iron: 4.2 mg